Wednesday 20 July 2016

KU Fox Valley Community Mosaic Mural





Customer Testimonial 


Susanna Mills from Susie's Studio, used SPECTRALOCK® PRO Grout on a mosaic mural she was working on and wrote to us to explain the process and her experience: 

"As promised, herewith some medium quality photos of the Spiral mosaic I did with the KU Fox Valley Community during the month of June. It should be installed soon, within a custom built framework & be visible if travelling along Fox Valley Road.

Thank you for getting me the Espresso Spectralock. The pack of 4 was precisely the right amount for the 1.2mx1.2m mosaic. There were several sections with pebbles and glass drops in, and this always gobbles up vast amounts of grout.

This was the very first time I have used epoxy grout on one of my community mosaic projects, so I guess I took a risk by using an unfamiliar product on a job! The artwork is full exterior, much of it mosaiced by a pre-school community, so weatherproofing and binding qualities were very important for the grout. The Laticrete epoxy grout video on YouTube was very helpful, the product instructions were clear and concise, it was great to have almost everything I needed contained in the buckets (the quality of the sponges were great, by the way!) and I had no problems mixing part A & B. 

The spiral mosaic was grouted by me alone- section by section and bucket by bucket- a slow and methodical process lasting 4 hours!

Although initially confused by the wet grout colour, which was a yukky grey brown when first mixed- after 30 minutes I noticed the grout went through a metamorphosis as it dried and began to set, becoming the beautiful, rich chocolate brown I visualised for this artwork. The Spectralock grout was easy to mix, apply and clean off, filling gaps big and small beautifully. I used the grout cleaner supplied in the bucket before I left for the day. 

When I returned to the preschool two days later to file any sharp cut edges, the mosaic had undergone yet another stunning transformation. The colours of both the glass and ceramic tiles were richer and deeper and the grout, although not containing the dazzle additive, still glittered in the sun. 

It must be the resin in the grout that does this, but everyone who worked on this mosaic is thrilled with their finished work of art!" - Susanna Mills.

Thank you Susanna for taking the time to send in this great testimonial!

Can we interest you in FREE samples? 

Contact us to discuss your next project, arrange a demo or FREE samples by calling 1800 331 012 or contact us here.

No comments:

Post a Comment